Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ben Quote of the Day

Benjamin said something last night while I was putting him to bed that made me laugh. I want to remember it so I'm going to write about it but I need to give you some background first. When we moved from ultra humid Louisiana to ultra dry Idaho something immediately happened. The younger three kids' skin threw a complete fit! Their skin became intensely dry and they would scratch until it bled. We had to go to the doctor and everyone got their own prescription strength steroid cream. Even that didn't help a ton. It was just such a complete change! In the South we would occasionally get out the hydrocortisone for Teagan's itches and that always took care of things. Nothing really seemed to do the job in Idaho. Although the girls have had their moments, Ben has suffered with it the very most.

Finally, I discovered Aquaphor and learned that if I faithfully cover Benjamin's legs with it DAILY, his exema becomes manageable. If we miss a few days they become so dry and awful looking. He can't resist scratching and then they bleed and look worse. Usually when I put him to bed and he starts itching like crazy, that's my reminder to grab the Aquaphor container and start greasing him up with it (literally)! Well, last night he came in my room to find the finger nail clippers and asked me to help him. I clipped his nails all nice and short. When he laid down in his bed he went to scratch and said, "Look Mom now I won't scratch my legs cuz my nails are too short." He knew I'd like that since I'm always telling him to not scratch, but grab the medicine instead.

Now that's a "Savage Sandwich" taken fall 2006. Benjamin turned one just a couple months after we moved here. This is one of the last pictures I got of my dad. He and mom came for a visit October 2006. Little did we know he would be gone in one short year. Seeing snow again was most exciting, but the cold weather was super drying to the skin. Man, sometimes you don't notice how much your kiddos have grown up until you take a look back...

No comments:

Post a Comment