Thursday, October 11, 2012

Look Who's Driving


Bruce pointed out to me this morning that today is 10-11-12!  A good day to update my poor neglected blog.  My sophomore is loving his new found freedom since he got his drivers license!  I am actually enjoying it so far as well, it's pretty nice to have one more driver in this family.  Trent can finally get himself to where he needs to go and run some of my errands too.
Last Monday he was inducted into his school's chapter of the National Honor Society.  I'm so proud of him for being grade conscious!  He's second from the left in the picture above.
 He is diving back into Speech and Debate Club this year as well as taking some classes he is passionate about like computer programming and web design.  His programming class was taught at a different high school than his but he wanted to take it so badly that for the first month of school I picked him up 2nd hour and he drove us across town to the other high school.  I would take a walk or read in the car (yes I did get caught up on a lot of reading) while he was in class, then he'd drive back to his high school for the rest of the day.  It was a huge chunk out of my morning but it accomplished a couple of good things.  First, he got some awesome driving experience at a time of day when the traffic is lighter, and second and most importantly, I got to spend some one-on-one time with him. I would ask him what he did in class, quiz him on his biology while he drove or talk to him about girls and he couldn't escape, haha.  Speaking of girls, Trent composed the music and wrote lyrics to a song he used to invite a girl to the Homecoming dance.  Eeck!  Why am I more okay with the driving part than the dating part?!  I think I'm in denial that we are already in THIS phase of life.  Kids never listen when you tell them to stop growing nosireeee.  Well, happy 10-11-12 to ya!

1 comment: